It was one fine morning in 2018 when I decided to sell 3 of my last affiliate websites. One of them was a public case study (HonestGolfers.com) that I did for my students, the other two were private sites – in home and wellness space.
So I sold them.
I made decent money and that was it.
I thought I would not build another affiliate site anytime soon.
Hi, I'm Khalid...
I travel the world and try to live a digital nomad life. Want premium goodies from me? For free?
I was getting into local SEO & agency life, and I was enjoying the process.
Passive Journal was getting a ton of interests from businesses who were looking to grow their sites with SEO, and I enjoyed working on those projects.
I have this massive problem of losing interest in something after a while and that’s exactly what happened with the agency life.
I thought, it is time to try something new and so I did.
Long story short, I am having the urge to build another portfolio again.
Now that Passive Journal is truly Passive and doesn’t require my time and effort, I thought it is a good time to do something fun (and new).
I have decided to re-build my portfolio from scratch.
And I have also decided to document the whole journey.
Announcing, the $20k Challenge
As the name and the title suggests, these would be my goals for this project:
- Build 60 websites
- Make consistent $20,000/month from the site portfolio
- Do It within December, 2020
I actually have already started my $20k challenge last month. The game plan is fairly straight forward.
- Create 50 authority websites & 10 lead gen websites
- Divide the 50 authority website in 4 categories (Outdoor, home, hobby & kids/mom) and build 10-15 sites for each category.
- Monetize the lea gen sites by selling leads and the authority websites with Ads + Affiliate commission
- I wouldn’t be building all sites from scratch. I will try to build as many of them from ground up as I can, but I will also be looking to buy some to save time (from FB groups, Flippa & some personal connections)
- I will be spending a fair bit of money, primarily for content. More on that later.
- I will be using expired domains, whenever I can, to reduce the Google sandbox period.
You can expect one monthly update from me about the $20k Challenge. If I don’t blog about it, I will definitely be doing a podcast update (make sure that you subscribe to the podcast feed).
I will call this, the month 0 update as I am only announcing it here. However, I will do a proper month 1 update sometime in November, 2019 with details around finances, goals, and how I plan to achieve those.
I am still not sure how to report about 60 sites (I don’t think it will be an easy read if I shove 60 Analytics and search console screenshot to you every single month so we need to find a better strategy). Do you have a suggestion? Comment below.
PS: I am really excited about this and the whole reason I am doing it is to be accountable. It is now on you to make sure that I stay on track.
Leave a comment if you want to build a few sites too along with me (you don’t have to build 60, a few or even 1 is fine).